Tuesday 18 January 2011

Something old...

The last week has been a bit manic in my camp (not that I'm surprised), but I have managed to squeeze some nice things in between the madness, including a trip to my favourite charity/junk shop. 


A few years ago, my parents suggested that I follow the family tradition of choosing a set of posh china to be gifted to me, in installments, on important milestone occasions (birthdays, wedding etc). I looked at nearly every pattern going, but couldn't find anything that I liked. There was no magic or romance to them and there was certainly no story behind them. 

So, I set out to create my own, completely unique set of mismatched china. I love the idea that each piece has lived in a different house with different owners and it makes me so happy to think that these once-loved little pieces of china, though thrown away, will now be loved by me! 

I have been collecting for roughly four years now. I just keep an eye out for things any time I visit a charity/junk/antiques shop. 


I bought these two plates at the weekend for a grand total of 60p! Amazing. Actually, it was very exciting as the hardest pieces to come by are side plates. Cups and saucers are easy (although not as much as they used to be -I think they are becoming quite fashionable) and serving plates pop up quite regularly, but side plates are really hard to find. I'm not sure I'll ever know why. 


The pistachio green serving plate is my favourite. It looks so plain in some lights, but at the right angle it has this amazing star-like pattern in the middle. I can't wait to bake some cakes to serve on it. Sometime, I will get a picture of some of the other pieces up for you to see the full effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments & hope you have a lovely day!