Wednesday 20 April 2011

Rhubarb, rhubarb!

You can't beat seasonal fruit. Don't get me wrong, I love the odd blueberry on my cereal, in the middle of winter just as much as the next person, but I do sometimes feel like I should wait. There is something so exciting about seeing the first crop of a much awaited fruit; pick-your-own strawberries in the summer,  hedges dripping with blackberries in the autumn. 

Not only that, but they just taste so good. I spent my childhood munching on crisp windfall apples, poking under leaves for warm wild strawberries the size of a pea and sucking the seedy flesh out of hairy gooseberries, revelling in the juicy, fresh sweetness. Just thinking about it brings back so many wonderful memories (and makes my tummy rumble). 

Currently, I don't have a garden big enough to house my own fruit farm, so for the time being I am forced to buy stuff in (pouty lip). Thank goodness for our local greengrocer. They are very hot on local, seasonal produce, just like this stunning rhubarb. Isn't it perfect? It is ravishingly pink and, cut up like that, it looks just like little barley sugar sweets. 

Looking at it makes me feel proud to live in Yorkshire and eating it makes me a very happy Treacle indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments & hope you have a lovely day!